A garment worker on Friday succumbed to his burn injuries he sustained in a fire at a residential apartment in Siddhirganj area of Narayanganj.
The deceased was identified as Mamun, 27. He died at 8 am at Sheikh Hasina National Institute of Burn and Plastic Surgery of Dhaka Medical College and Hospital (DMCH), said Bachchu Mia, in-charge inspector of DMCH police outpost.
Mamun along with his two other coworkers sustained burn injuries following a sudden gas explosion at a flat of the seven-storey building on Thursday. Subsequently, he was admitted to the institute on Thursday with 100 percent burns.
The two more injured workers -- Parvej, 28, with 100 percent burns, and Jibon, 20, with 30 percent burns, -- are currently being treated at the hospital, said Dr SM Ayub Hossain, resident surgeon.
The fire broke out at the building around 6pm on Thursday.
Riaz, a colleague of the victims, said that the workers were at their residence and getting ready for the night shift when the fire broke out from a sudden gas explosion.
Earlier, UNB ran a story mistakenly saying that the three workers of Ananta Group sustained burn injuries in a garment factory fire.
However, Ananta Group said their employees sustained burn injuries in a rented apartment opposite to Adamjee EPZ main gate across the canal, not in their factory. The three coworkers were residing in the rented apartment.
The group said necessary administrative and logistic support from the management has been extended. “We’ll continue to look after our employees,” it said.
The UNB, however, regrets the inadvertent mistake.