The High Court on Wednesday declared the punishment of minors by mobile courts illegal.
It also directed the authorities concerned of the government to immediately release children convicted by mobile courts.
Justice Sheikh Hasan Arif and Justice Mahmud Hasan Talukder’s bench passed the order after resolving a suo moto rule.
Attorney General Mahbubey Alam and Deputy Attorney General Bipul Bagmar represented the state while barrister Abdul Halim and lawyer Ishrat Hasan stood for the minor children.
After the order, Halim told reporters that the court clearly said that the conviction of 121 minors by mobile courts is illegal and cancelled. Mobile courts will not be allowed to convict minors.
If the 121 minors are not involved with other crimes, they have to release immediately, he said.
Earlier on October 31, The High Court ordered the authorities concerned to immediately free the under-12 children jailed by mobile courts.
The court also ordered granting six-month bail to those above 12 years.
The HC bench passed the suo moto order following a report run by a daily newspaper.
It issued a rule asking the authorities concerned to explain why the conviction of the children by mobile courts should not be declared illegal.
According to the report, mobile courts have recently convicted 121 children for various crimes and sent them to the Children Development Centre.