Phil Foden, Cole Palmer and Trent Alexander-Arnold have been left out of Thomas Tuchel’s 26-man England squad for this summer’s World Cup in the United States, Mexico and Canada.
Manchester United defender Harry Maguire has also been omitted, with the 33-year-old saying he was “shocked and gutted” by the decision. Maguire’s mother Zoe also expressed disappointment on social media, saying she was “disgusted” by the call.
Aston Villa striker Ollie Watkins is included after helping his side win the Europa League on Wednesday, alongside Al-Ahli striker Ivan Toney, who has scored 32 goals in 32 games in the Saudi Arabian league this season.
Nottingham Forest midfielder Morgan Gibbs-White has missed out despite being among the top-scoring English players in the Premier League this season, level on 14 goals with Watkins and Dominic Calvert-Lewin.
Manchester City’s Foden and Chelsea’s Palmer — both attacking midfielders who can also play as forwards — have had inconsistent seasons.
In a post on Instagram, Maguire confirmed: “I was confident I could have played a major part this summer for my country after the season I’ve had. I’ve been left shocked and gutted by the decision. I wish the players all the best.”
Maguire’s Manchester United teammate Luke Shaw has also been omitted despite his impressive season. Shaw was named in Tuchel’s 55-man provisional squad and there had been a clamour for his inclusion.
But with Newcastle’s Dan Burn and Manchester City’s Nico O’Reilly included, Shaw is expected to miss out.
Chelsea defender Levi Colwill and AC Milan defender Fikayo Tomori are also out, though Arsenal winger Noni Madueke has made the cut.
He joins Premier League-winning teammates Bukayo Saka, Declan Rice and Eberechi Eze, who is rewarded for his strong form with a place in the 26-man squad.
Tottenham defender Djed Spence has also been included, meaning there is no place for Real Madrid’s Alexander-Arnold, Arsenal’s Myles Lewis-Skelly or Everton’s James Garner.
Spence, 25, suffered a broken jaw in Tottenham’s 2-1 defeat by Chelsea on Tuesday but is expected to wear a protective mask if he plays against Everton in the Premier League on Sunday.
The omissions of Maguire, Tomori and Colwill mean Manchester City defender John Stones has been included despite an injury-disrupted season. Tuchel views Stones as a key player but has concerns over his fitness.
Crystal Palace midfielder Adam Wharton is another to miss out, while Manchester United midfielder Kobbie Mainoo keeps his place after earning a recall for previous friendlies.
Brentford midfielder Jordan Henderson, who has been a mainstay under Tuchel, also retains his spot.
The World Cup, to be held across the US, Mexico and Canada, begins on June 11.
Foden has played 49 times for England but started only 22 Premier League games for Manchester City this season, scoring seven goals and providing five assists across 32 top-flight appearances.
Palmer scored nine goals in 25 Premier League games during an injury-hit campaign for Chelsea, who are eighth in the Premier League after a disappointing season.
Speaking to BBC Sport last month, Maguire, who has played 67 times for England and scored seven goals, said he was “desperate” to go to the World Cup.
“I think it would be my last World Cup for my country. I’ve been to two, I missed out on the Euros two years ago through injury, which just hurt a lot really. So I’m desperate to go, whatever role the manager would want me for,” he said.
“Whether that’s starting or deciding games late on, I still believe even at my age I’m arguably one of the best defenders in the world in both boxes.”
England warm up for the tournament with friendlies against New Zealand on June 6 and Costa Rica on June 10.
They will open their World Cup campaign against Croatia on June 17, followed by group matches against Ghana and Panama.
England World Cup squad
Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson (Crystal Palace), Jordan Pickford (Everton), James Trafford (Manchester City)
Defenders: Dan Burn (Newcastle United), Marc Guehi (Manchester City), Reece James (Chelsea), Ezri Konsa (Aston Villa), Tino Livramento (Newcastle), Nico O'Reilly (Manchester City), Jarell Quansah (Bayer Leverkusen), Djed Spence (Tottenham), John Stones (Manchester City)
Midfielders: Elliot Anderson (Nottingham Forest), Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid), Eberechi Eze (Arsenal), Jordan Henderson (Brentford), Kobbie Mainoo (Manchester United), Declan Rice (Arsenal), Morgan Rogers (Aston Villa) Forwards: Anthony Gordon (Newcastle United), Harry Kane (Bayern Munich), Noni Madueke (Arsenal), Marcus Rashford (Barcelona on loan from Manchester United), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Ivan Toney (Al-Ahli), Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa)
#From BBC