The bodies of four Italian divers who died during a deep cave dive in the Maldives earlier this month were sent back to Italy early Saturday, a Maldivian government spokesperson said.
The four divers went missing on May 14 while exploring an underwater cave in Vaavu Atoll, about 50 meters below sea level. Their diving instructor’s body was recovered outside the cave shortly after the incident and was previously returned to Italy.
Authorities said recovering the remaining bodies was extremely difficult and dangerous. The operation was temporarily halted after a Maldivian military diver, Mohamed Mahudhee, who was part of the rescue mission, died during the effort.
Later, three expert cave divers from Finland joined the operation and located the four bodies last week in the deepest section of the cave, around 60 meters underwater. The Maldives normally allows recreational diving only up to 30 meters.
Maldives President’s spokesperson Mohamed Hussain Shareef said two separate investigations have been launched — one into the deaths of the five Italian divers and another into the death of military diver Mahudhee.
He also said Italian authorities agreed to share the findings if autopsies are carried out on the bodies after their return home.
The victims were identified as Monica Montefalcone, an ecology professor at the University of Genoa; her daughter Giorgia Sommacal; marine biologist Federico Gualtieri; researcher Muriel Oddenino; and diving instructor Gianluca Benedetti.
Government spokesperson Ahmed Shaam said the four bodies were found close together inside the cave.
Authorities said the divers had obtained permission for the expedition, but officials were not fully informed about the exact cave location they planned to explore. They also said at least two of the victims were not included in the list of researchers submitted to authorities before the dive.