Nobel laureate Narges Mohammadi
Iranian Nobel laureate Narges Mohammadi hospitalized after health crisis in prison
Imprisoned Iranian Nobel Peace Prize winner Narges Mohammadi has been transferred to a hospital following a serious deterioration in her health, her foundation said Friday.
According to the Narges Mohammadi Foundation, she experienced two instances of complete unconsciousness along with a severe cardiac episode while being held in a prison in Zanjan, northwestern Iran.
Earlier the same day, Mohammadi reportedly fainted twice in custody. Her lawyers have previously indicated that she may have suffered a heart attack in late March, noting her weakened condition, pale appearance and need for assistance to walk during a prison visit.
The foundation said her hospitalization came after more than four months of what it described as “systematic medical neglect” since her arrest on December 12. Prison doctors ultimately recommended her transfer, saying her condition could no longer be treated inside the facility.
Her family, however, warned that the move might have come too late. Relatives had been calling for weeks for her transfer to a properly equipped medical center. Her brother, Hamidreza Mohammadi, said the family is struggling to ensure she receives adequate care, alleging that local authorities have obstructed efforts.
Mohammadi, 53, has suffered ongoing heart-related complications. In March, fellow inmates reportedly found her unconscious, and she later complained of chest pain and breathing difficulties. Her legal representatives have also said she was previously denied access to hospital treatment and a cardiologist.
Her lawyer Mostafa Nili said her blood pressure has fluctuated sharply in recent days, leading to repeated fainting. She was eventually admitted to a cardiac care unit after a neurologist ordered her urgent transfer.
Mohammadi, a prominent rights activist, was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2023 while in detention. She was arrested again in December during a visit to Mashhad and later sentenced to an additional seven years in prison.
Her family says her health has worsened partly due to alleged physical abuse during her arrest. International observers, including the Nobel committee, have condemned what they describe as life-threatening mistreatment.
Before her latest arrest, Mohammadi had already been serving a lengthy prison sentence on charges related to national security and anti-government activities, though she had been temporarily released on medical grounds.
Despite repeated detentions, she has continued her activism, even while on furlough, participating in protests and speaking to international media. Her case gained global attention after she became one of the few Nobel laureates to receive the prize while imprisoned, amplifying her role in highlighting protests in Iran following the death of Mahsa Amini.
Mohammadi has remained outspoken against Iran’s leadership, calling for political change and urging public resistance, even from behind bars.
21 days ago
Iran court adds prison term for Nobel laureate Narges Mohammadi
Iranian Nobel Peace Prize winner Narges Mohammadi has been handed additional prison sentences totalling seven and a half years, her lawyer said on Sunday.
Mostafa Nili said a court in the north eastern city of Mashhad sentenced the prominent human rights activist to six years in prison on charges of gathering and collusion, and another one and a half years for what it called propaganda activities.
Mohammadi was arrested in December after attending a memorial ceremony where, according to authorities, she made provocative remarks. Her family said she was beaten during the arrest and later taken to hospital.
Nili said he spoke to Mohammadi for the first time since mid December and confirmed that the court also imposed a two year travel ban and ordered her two years of internal exile to the eastern Khusf region.
The Narges Foundation, which supports Mohammadi, described the trial held on Saturday as a sham and said she began a hunger strike on February 2. According to Nili, she was taken to hospital three days ago due to poor health before being returned to detention.
Mohammadi’s husband, Taghi Rahmani, said she refused to defend herself in court, insisting that the judiciary had no legitimacy and that the proceedings were pre decided. He called the verdict cruel and unjust, and urged international human rights groups to protest.
Her daughter, Kiana Rahmani, said the family was deeply worried about her mother’s condition.
The 53 year old activist has already spent more than a decade in prison. The Narges Foundation said the latest ruling brings the total prison time ordered against her to 44 years.
Since 2021, Mohammadi has been serving a 13 year sentence on charges related to propaganda and state security, which she denies. She was granted temporary medical release from Tehran’s Evin prison in December last year but was expected to return shortly after.
Her latest arrest followed her attendance at a memorial for lawyer Khosrow Alikordi, who was found dead in his office in early December. Human rights groups have called for an independent investigation into his death.
Iranian prosecutors said Mohammadi was among dozens arrested for encouraging slogan chanting and disturbing public order. Rights groups, however, say she was attacked by plainclothes security agents during the memorial.
Mohammadi was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2023 for her long standing campaign against the oppression of women and for human rights in Iran.
With inputs from BBC
3 months ago