‘bad things
Trump warns of ‘bad things’ if Iran fails to reach deal as US carrier moves closer
President Donald Trump on Thursday warned that serious consequences could follow if Iran does not reach a nuclear deal soon, as a second US aircraft carrier moved closer to the Middle East and regional tensions continued to rise.
Trump said he believes 10 to 15 days is enough time for Tehran to make a deal, but talks have remained stalled for years. Iran has refused to discuss broader US and Israeli demands, including curbing its missile program and cutting ties with armed groups across the region.
Indirect negotiations held in recent weeks have shown little progress, raising concerns that both sides may be preparing for possible military confrontation.
Iran’s leadership is facing increased pressure following Israeli and US strikes on its nuclear and military facilities last year, along with mass protests in January that were violently suppressed by security forces.
In a letter to the UN Security Council, Iran’s ambassador Amir Saeid Iravani said Tehran does not seek war and will not initiate conflict. However, he warned that any US attack would be met with a decisive response and that American bases and assets in the region would be considered legitimate targets.
Earlier this week, Iran carried out live-fire military drills in the Strait of Hormuz, a vital waterway through which about one-fifth of the world’s traded oil passes. On Thursday, Iranian and Russian forces also held joint naval exercises in the Gulf of Oman and the Indian Ocean, according to Iranian state media.
US boosts military presence as Iran fortifies key site
Meanwhile, US military movements continue. The aircraft carrier USS Gerald R. Ford was tracked near the Atlantic coast of Morocco, positioning it to enter the Mediterranean. US officials said the full military force needed for potential action against Iran could be in place by mid-March.
Trump said reaching a meaningful agreement with Iran has never been easy, adding that failure to do so could lead to severe outcomes.
A senior regional official said private warnings have been delivered to Iranian leaders, stressing that Trump’s statements should be taken seriously. The official added that focusing first on nuclear issues could help secure short-term concessions from Tehran.
International concern is also growing. Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk urged Polish citizens to leave Iran immediately, warning that evacuation could soon become impossible. Germany has begun relocating non-essential personnel from a base in northern Iraq due to rising regional risks.
Israel is also preparing for potential fallout. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israel is ready for any scenario and warned Iran against attacking Israeli territory.
Iran insists its nuclear program is peaceful and says current talks should focus only on nuclear issues. While Trump previously claimed US and Israeli strikes had destroyed Iran’s nuclear sites, the extent of the damage remains unclear as international inspectors have been barred from access.
The United States and its allies continue to suspect Iran’s program could eventually be used to develop nuclear weapons, a claim Tehran has consistently denied.
3 hours ago