Iran-US War negotiation
Trump says Iran agreement largely negotiated, final details under discussion
US President Donald Trump has said a Memorandum of Understanding aimed at ending the US-Israel war with Iran has been “largely negotiated,” with only final details remaining to be resolved.
Speaking on Saturday, Trump said the proposed agreement would include reopening the Strait of Hormuz, though it remains subject to final approval by US and Iranian negotiators as well as several other countries involved in the mediation efforts.
The announcement came after Trump held a series of calls with leaders and officials from Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Pakistan, Jordan, Egypt, Turkiye and Bahrain. He also spoke separately with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
“Final aspects and details of the deal are currently being discussed, and will be announced shortly,” Trump wrote on his Truth Social platform.
Pakistan Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif said Islamabad would continue efforts to facilitate dialogue between Washington and Tehran and expressed hope that Pakistan could host future US-Iran talks soon.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan welcomed the reported progress, saying any agreement would help restore free navigation through the Strait of Hormuz.
In a separate statement, Egypt’s presidency urged all sides to take advantage of the diplomatic momentum and reach a settlement.
The latest development follows a week of mixed signals from Trump, who earlier warned Iran that time was running out for a permanent ceasefire agreement. He later said he had been close to resuming attacks but paused military action following requests from Gulf countries.
Trump has alternated between warning of escalation and expressing optimism about a deal. On Saturday, he also posted an image of Iran covered with a US flag on social media.
The statement came shortly after Pakistan’s army chief, Asim Munir, concluded what Pakistan’s military described as a “highly productive” visit to Iran, during which “encouraging progress” was reportedly made toward a final understanding.
Iranian officials, however, have repeatedly expressed caution over negotiations with Washington, citing previous US military strikes on Iran during talks related to Tehran’s nuclear programme.
The US and Israel launched the latest conflict on February 28. Although major fighting has largely remained paused since April 8, sporadic flare-ups have continued.
The US has maintained restrictions on Iranian ports, while Iran has effectively kept the Strait of Hormuz closed.
Major unresolved issues reportedly include the future of Iran’s nuclear programme, Tehran’s influence over the strategic waterway, the future US military presence in the region and access to frozen Iranian assets.
Source: Al Jazeera
2 hours ago