Harry’s UK return
Harry’s UK return raises questions over ties with Prince William
Prince Harry and his wife Meghan are preparing to return to the United Kingdom from California within weeks, raising questions about whether Harry can repair his strained relationship with his elder brother, Prince William.
The couple have already enrolled their children, Prince Archie, 7, and Princess Lilibet, 5, in British schools for the autumn term.
The unexpected decision has sparked debate over where the family will live, who will cover their security costs and whether Harry and Meghan could ever return to royal duties.
The biggest challenge, however, may be Harry’s relationship with William, heir to the throne. Their ties have deteriorated following Harry and Meghan’s public criticism of the royal family, including allegations of mistreatment by palace staff, racism and problems within the monarchy.
Royal experts also say there could be concerns about Harry and Meghan drawing attention away from William and his wife, Catherine, when they are again in Britain.
Craig Prescott, an expert on the UK constitution and monarchy at Royal Holloway University of London, said the palace would have to consider how the couple’s return could affect the work of the royal family.
Harry wants his children to grow up BritishHarry and Meghan are expected to live in a private home outside London and will not resume their royal duties, which they gave up after moving to California six years ago, British media reported.
Their return comes as King Charles III, Harry’s 77-year-old father, continues cancer treatment. Harry has previously spoken about wanting his children to spend more time with their grandfather.
Royal historian Ed Owens said several recent developments may have paved the way for the family’s return. Harry has spoken about reconciliation, while he, Meghan and their children reportedly had a positive meeting with Charles at his Highgrove estate in western England last month.
Harry has also said he wants his children to grow up British. Owens noted that the UK may also appear safer to the family amid growing divisions in US society.
Royal experts expect Charles to forgive HarryOwens said he expects Charles to forgive his younger son, partly because of his position as supreme governor of the Church of England and the Christian value placed on forgiveness.
He said William may find it harder to forgive Harry, although he could eventually do so publicly.
“Privately William never fully forgives his younger brother” may be possible, Owens told The Associated Press, but traditional Christian values could encourage a public reconciliation.
Charles was informed about Harry and Meghan’s plans on Sunday. The issue was not discussed during their recent UK visit.
Relations remain strainedHarry and Meghan’s relationship with the royal family has been tense since they stepped down from royal duties and moved to California in 2020 to become financially independent.
The rift grew after the couple gave a series of interviews and Harry published his memoir, “Spare.” They said they left Britain because of the pressures of royal life and accused palace officials of failing to support Meghan’s mental health.
They also alleged that a member of the royal family had made a racist comment about their unborn child. Meghan has described herself as biracial.
In a widely watched 2021 interview with Oprah Winfrey, Harry said the reasons for leaving Britain were “lack of support and lack of understanding.”
Security and legal disputes remainHarry’s tensions with the UK media have also added to the difficulties. He has been involved in a long-running legal battle with British tabloid publishers, accusing them of illegally accessing his phone and invading his privacy.
Harry and other plaintiffs lost a lawsuit against the publisher of the Daily Mail last month, leaving them facing potentially millions of pounds in legal costs. Associated Newspapers has said its costs were 34.5 million pounds ($47 million).
Harry has also challenged a UK government decision not to provide him and his family with police protection whenever they visit Britain.
Prime Minister Andy Burnham said Thursday that the couple’s security arrangements were a private matter for Harry and Meghan.
Harry lost his legal challenge over the security decision in May 2025. At the time, he said he hoped to reconcile with his family but remained critical of those in Britain whom he believed had mistreated him and Meghan.
Royal historian Owens said the focus could now shift from the family’s disputes to efforts to rebuild their relationships.
“Time is a great healer,” he said, suggesting that reconciliation between Harry and his father could eventually lead to a possible reconciliation between the two brothers.
1 day ago