student movement
Hasina, her cohorts using laundered money to spread propaganda: Sarjis
Sarjis Alam, a key coordinator of the Anti-Discrimination Student Movement and chief organiser of the Jatiya Nagorik Committee, has alleged that ex-prime minister Sheikh Hasina and her cohorts are using launderd money to fund propaganda cells spreading misinformation to confuse and divide people.
"The people of Bangladesh are conscious enough to see through these lies which only serve as a source of amusement for them," he told reporters after attending the Skill Development Youth Summit of the month-long Youth Festival at Mokbular Rahman Government College ground in Panchagarh on Saturday.
Sarjis steps down from Shaheed Sriti Foundation
He said they are working to uphold the dreams and spirit of people focusing on building a better future. “Giving importance to such propaganda is nothing but a waste of time."
"We don’t need a separate government for neutral elections. Under the guidance of Dr Muhammad Yunus, we can witness transparent elections in Bangladesh," he added.
He also highlighted the pivotal role of women in shaping a new Bangladesh saying that women were at the forefront of the mass uprising for a new Bangladesh and they will lead future endeavours as well.
March for Felani: Sarjis Alam vows justice for border killing victims
He also said building a prosperous future needs engagement of the youth.
Earlier in the day, Sarjis Alam along with Senior Secretary of the Ministry of Home Affairs Nasimul Gani inaugurated the beautification project at Panchagarh Railway Station.
2 months ago
Anti-discrimination student movement, Nagarik Committee to launch campaign
Anti-discrimination Student Movement and Jatiya Nagarik Committee will conduct 5-day campaign from January 6 to 11 to raise people’s awareness about ‘Proclamation of July Revolution’.
They announced the programme at a press conference in the capital’s Rupayan tower on Saturday.
Hasnat Abdullah, convener of the Coordinating Council of the Anti-Discrimination Student Movement, said they think the Proclamation of July Revolution will be a significant moment in the national the life.
Army operation uncovers two UPDF camps in Rangamati: ISPR
"We will conduct campaign in every district from 6th to 11th January. During this time, we will distribute leaflets on the 'Proclamation of July Revolution', hold rallies, and communicate with mass people," said Hasnat.
“People from all classes and professions have participated in the July uprising under the leadership of the Anti-Discrimination Student Movement. We want to bring forward the voices of the most marginalised people.
3 months ago
Police arrest expelled Feni student coordinator over extortion and defamation
Police arrested Omar Faruk Shuvo, an expelled coordinator of the anti-discrimination student movement in Feni, on Tuesday in a case filed on charges of deception, extortion and defamation.
Shuvo, son of Nuruzzaman, is a resident of Jagatjibanpur village in Forhadnagar union under Feni Sadar upazila.
In August, Shuvo was expelled from his position as co-coordinator of the Anti-Discrimination Student Movement in Feni district for engaging in activities that violated organizational discipline.
RAB rescues abducted female dentist in Pabna, 3 arrested
Despite his expulsion, Shuvo reportedly continued to identify himself as a “student coordinator” and participated in various programs and meetings over the past few months.
Reports indicate that Shuvo allegedly demanded money from Maulana Mahmudul Hasan, the temporarily suspended principal of Feni Alia Kamil Madrasa, promising to reinstate him to his position.
On Tuesday, a call record of his extortion demand went viral on social media.
According to the viral call record, Shuvo was demanding Tk 3 lakh from Mahmudul Hasan, and claiming to act on behalf of Abdul Kader and Hamza Mahbub, coordinators of the anti-discrimination student movement. He mentioned the name of Azizur Rahman Rizvi of Feni, a student of finance department of Dhaka University, as a mediator.
Two snatchers arrested from Dhaka’s Babubazar
According to police sources, Azizur Rahman Rizvi’s father, Siddiqur Rahman, filed a case against Shuvo at Feni Model Police Station on Tuesday night. Following the complaint, police conducted an operation and arrested Shuvo.
Feni Model Police Station Officer-in-Charge (OC) Marm Singh Tripura said, “Shuvo will be sent to jail through the court on Wednesday.”
3 months ago
Students gather at Shaheed Minar for ‘March for Unity’ in support of July proclamation
Thousands of students and people from across the country began gathering at the Central Shaheed Minar since morning to participate in the 'March for Unity' programme.
The event, organised by the Anti-Discrimination Student Movement, aims to support the interim government’s initiative to draft a declaration recognising the July uprising based on national consensus.
Participants, carrying national flags, were seen gathering near the venue, while organisers made final preparations, including stage arrangements and last-minute sound checks.
Groups of people arrived from various parts of the city, chanting slogans such as "Mujibbader Thikana, Ai Banglai Hobena," "Delhi na Dhaka, Dhaka Dhaka," "Shesh Hoini Juddho, Abu Sayed Mughdo," and "Azadi na Golami."
CMP issues 13 guidelines for 31st night celebrations in the port city
Organisers expressed the hope that the event will draw a crowd of 500,000 people.
Meanwhile, Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) Commissioner SM Sazzat Ali visited the venue to check the security initiatives and gave the direction to handle the situation with utmost sincerity.
Historical Context and Significance
Arif Shohel, Member Secretary of the Anti-Discrimination Student Movement, emphasised the importance of the July Declaration in honouring the sacrifices of martyrs and wounded victims, as well as reflecting the people's aspirations.
Speaking about the initiative at a press conference, he said, “The proclamation of July revolution is essential as recognition of the sacrifice of thousands of martyrs and wounded victims, and as a document of people's aspirations.”
“Despite various challenges, we, the Anti-Discrimination Student Movement, took on the responsibility of formulating and declaring this historic document on behalf of the students and people of Bangladesh,” he added.
Proclamation of July revolution postponed, 'March for Unity' today
Highlighting the public response, he noted, “As a result of our initiative, there has been a spontaneous and positive response among the students and other people of Bangladesh. In this context, at the call of people including students an initiative has been taken from the government to formulate the July Declaration based on national consensus.”
He urged people to maintain their enthusiasm and participate actively in the programme, scheduled to begin at 3:00 pm.
Government Support and Future Steps
Abdul Hannan Masud, Coordinator of the Anti-Discrimination Student Movement, expressed optimism about the government’s agreement to the July Declaration, saying, “We have initially achieved victory. The government has given its consent regarding the proclamation of the July revolution. The proclamation will come from our government, but that doesn't mean our gathering will stop.”
The press conference announcing the event was also attended by members of the Jatiya Nagarik Committee.
Govt to prepare declaration of July uprising: CA’s Press Wing
Historical Reflections
The declaration is expected to draw parallels to the Proclamation of Independence announced on April 17, 1971, which upheld the principles of equality, human dignity, and social justice. Organisers plan to evaluate significant events from history, including 1947 and 1971, and provide insights into why various movements failed to fulfill their aspirations.
With the overwhelming support and participation of the people, the ‘March for Unity’ is set to be a historic event, reinforcing the call for unity and justice in Bangladesh.
3 months ago
Proclamation of July revolution postponed, 'March for Unity' today
The Anti-discrimination Student Movement has announced ‘March for Unity’ instead of proclamation of July revolution programme at the central Shahid Minar on Tuesday.
They disclosed the decision at a press conference in capital’s Rupayan tower early Tuesday.
In the written speech, Arif Shohel, member secretary of Anti-discrimination Student Movement, said the proclamation of July revolution is essential as a recognition of the sacrifice of thousands of martyrs and wounded victims, and as a document of the people's aspirations.
The historic responsibility for formulating this declaration rested with the organisation leading the mass uprising, the Anti-Discrimination Student Movement, he said.
Govt to prepare declaration of July uprising: CA’s Press Wing
“Despite various challenges, we, the Anti-Discrimination Student Movement, took on the responsibility of formulating and declaring this historic document on behalf of the students and people of Bangladesh."
"As a result of our initiative, there has been a spontaneous and positive response among the students and other people of Bangladesh. In this context, at the call of people including students an initiative has been taken from the government to formulate the July Declaration based on national consensus. “
“People are applauding this timely initiative. In continuation of this, today, on December 31st, Tuesday, at 3:00 PM, the "March for Unity" programme will hold at the Central Shahid Minar,” he said.
Pilkhana Tragedy: Martyred Army families demand fair probe, call for Martyred Army Day
He urged people to continue the enthusiasm they have shown and participate spontaneously in tomorrow's program.
Abdul Hannan Masud, coordinator of Anti-discrimination Student Movement, said,” We have initially achieved victory. The government has given its consent regarding the proclamation of July revolution. The proclamation will come from our government, but that doesn't mean our gathering will stop."
The press conference was also attended by many coordinators and leaders from Jatiya Nagarik Committee.
CA's Press Wing sits with journalist groups
3 months ago
JU anti-discrimination activists lay wreaths at National Memorial at Savar
The JU unit of Anti-Discrimination Student Movement laid wreaths at the National Memorial at Savar on the morning of the great Victory Day, paying tribute to the martyrs of the 1971 Liberation War and the 2024 mass uprising.
At 8 am on Monday, the students laid wreaths at the National Memorial to pay tribute to the brave martyrs.
Online application for 47th BCS postponed
After laying the wreaths, the students observed one minute of silence and paid tribute to the martyrs of the 24 mass uprisings.
After paying tribute, the convener of the JU branch of the Anti-Discrimination Movement, Arifuzzaman Ujjwal, said, "We will never be able to repay the sacrifices of the martyrs in the mass movement to build a discrimination-free Bangladesh."
First year admission process begins in agricultural universities
The joint convener of the organisation, Farhana Binte Jigar Farina, said, "We have not seen 71 but we have seen 24." If the dictator Hasina and her accomplices are not brought to justice for the genocide, injustice will be done to the martyrs of the 2O24 mass uprising.
3 months ago
Govt warns against misinformation about police fatalities during movement
The government has urged the public and certain media outlets to refrain from spreading misinformation about the number of policemen killed during the July-August student-led movement.
"We have observed that some news outlets and individuals are intentionally spreading false information about the number of police fatalities during this period,” said the Chief Adviser's Press Wing on Friday.
The police department maintains a detailed record of officers or constables who were injured or killed in protests or acts of violence. The police headquarters has released a list of the fatalities during the student movement.
Officials have also urged anyone claiming that more policemen were killed during the uprising to provide evidence, it added.
5 months ago
Student movement to lay siege to High Court on Wed
Demanding resignation of 'fascist judges', the anti-discrimination student movement has announced a siege of the High Court at 11 am on Wednesday.
Hasnat Abdullah, one of the coordinators of the anti-discrimination student movement, announced the program in a post on his Facebook profile on Tuesday (October 15) evening.
Read: Nur-led Gono Odhikar Parishad to lay siege to Election Commission on Tuesday
In that post, Hasnat Abdullah wrote Awami League's fascist judges will be surrounded at the High Court by 11 am tomorrow.
Coordinator Sarjis Alam also gave the same post following Hasnat Abdullah.
5 months ago
Student-led movement: AL, Jubo League leaders arrested in murder case
Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) arrested a leader of Awami League and a Jubo League leader in connection with the murder of Imon Hossain Akash from Pallabi area on Saturday during the anti-discrimination student movement.
The arrestees are Mohammad Din Islam, a Jubo League leader from Ward No. 3 and Md. Akbar Hossain Jony, Joint General Secretary of the Awami League's Ward No. 2 under Pallabi police station.
On August 4, 2024, Imon Hossain Akash joined a peaceful protest along with other students and civilians in front of the Popular Diagnostic Center near the Mirpur 10 bus stand.
Police rescue kidnapping victim in Hatirjheel, arrest three suspects
During the protest, members of various affiliated organizations of the Awami League reportedly opened fire indiscriminately on the protesters, leaving many people including Imon injured.
Imon was was rushed to Dr. Azmal Hospital where he was declared dead by doctors.
On August 27, Imon’s mother filed a case with the Pallabi police station.
During the investigation, with the help of intelligence and technology, police were able to arrest Din Islam and Akbar Hossain Jony as named suspects in the case.
Ex-AL lawmaker Shahidul Islam arrested: DB
Talebur Rahman, a Deputy Commissioner of PoliceMedia & Public Relations of Dhaka Metropolitan Police said, the accused were produced before the court.
Earlier, Pallabi police also arrested Sheikh Mohammad Wasim, law affairs secretary of Jubo League's Pallabi Police Station, from Pallabi area in connection with the same case on Thursday night.
5 months ago
Student movement killings will be tried at International Crimes Tribunal; cases filed to harass protesters will be withdrawn by Aug 31: Law Adviser
Law Adviser of the interim government, Prof Asif Nazrul on Wednesday (14/08/2024) said that all cases filed during the student movement across the country will be withdrawn within August 31.
He said this while briefing reporters at the Secretariat in Dhaka.
The Law Adviser said the cases filed in Dhaka during the student-led movement will be withdrawn by tomorrow (August 15).
Asif Nazrul informed that cases filed against journalist Rozina Islam and Nagorik Oikya President Mahmudur Rahman Manna will also be withdrawn.
Read more: Cases against Rozina Islam, Mahmudur Rahman Manna to be withdrawn: Law Adviser
Moreover, Rozina's passport has been returned to her, he added.
Asif Nazrul said that the killings during the student movement--between July 1 and August 5--will be tried at the International Crimes Tribunal and efforts are being made to investigate the incidents under the supervision of the United Nations.
The adviser also said, "Even though journalists have provided evidence of false cases in their reports, unfortunately, our judiciary did not notice it. It was very surprising to me. Allah has given me the opportunity to look into this."
He informed that all false cases will be withdrawn.
Asked about providing legal assistance to the victims of the ‘Aynaghor’, the law adviser said the victims have the opportunity to come to the International Crimes Tribunal and lodge cases.
Addressing enforced disappearances as a crime against humanity, he said, “Anyone can file a case with the International Crimes Tribunal. The state can, so can the victims. Later, we can also take initiative at the state level. Right now, we are focused on the July killings.”
However, the issue of enforced disappearances is very important, he said, adding that he is not underplaying it in any way.
Read more: Sheikh Hasina among 30 sued in abduction case
The law adviser said he has directed all officials of the judiciary and their family members to submit reports about their properties within 10 working days.
“In consultation with the Supreme Court, all judicial officers and their family members have been ordered to submit statements on their movable and immovable assets at home and abroad within 10 working days,” he added.
7 months ago