Cairo, Jul 25 (AP/UNB) — Hundreds of Sudanese on Thursday took to the streets in the capital, Khartoum, and elsewhere in the country to insist that an upcoming transitional government be made up of experts and technocrats, rather than political parties.
There was no immediate response to such demands by Sudanese political parties but the opposition Congress party posted videos for the protests in Khartoum and its twin city of Omdurman.
In the video from Omdurman, protesters are seen demanding accountability for those implicated in the crackdown against the protesters since the uprising against long-ruling autocrat Omar al-Bashir began in December.
Over 250 people were killed in the uprising, according to protest organizers.
The military overthrew al-Bashir in April, but the protesters remained in the streets, calling for a swift transition to civilian rule. In early June, security forces dispersed their main sit-in, killing at least 128 people, according to the organizers. Authorities put the death toll at 61, including three members of the security forces.
The Forces for the Declaration of Freedom and Change, which represents the protesters, said in a statement Thursday their marches reject any party allocations in the Cabinet during the transitional period.
Earlier this month, the military council and the pro-democracy movement reached a power-sharing agreement, including a timetable for a transition to civilian rule.
The deal would establish a joint civilian-military sovereign council that would rule Sudan for a little over three years while elections are organized. A military leader would head the 11-member council for the first 21 months, followed by a civilian leader for the next 18.
The pro-democracy movement would appoint a Cabinet, and the two sides would agree on a legislative body within three months of the start of the transition. Last week, they signed a political declaration that outlines the deal, but have yet to sign the second, final part of the agreement — the so-called constitutional agreement — which is meant to specify the division of powers during the transitional period.
The deal marks a significant concession by the protesters, who had demanded an immediate transition to civilian rule. Rebel groups within the protest movement had rejected the deal, arguing it fails to meet their demands for peace.
Protest leaders engaged in intensive talks for over a week in Ethiopia's capital with the Revolutionary Front, an alliance of Sudanese rebel groups that are also part of the movement. The Revolutionary Front includes rebel groups from Darfur as well as Blue Nile and South Kordofan provinces.
On Wednesday, they said at a press conference that they have agreed to reconcile their differences and that the transitional government should be responsible for implementing the peace deal.
Mogadishu, Jul 22 (AP/UNB) — A Somali police officer says a car bomb in the capital has killed at least 10 people.
Capt. Mohamed Hussein said at least 15 others were injured when the car packed with explosives and parked near a busy security checkpoint by the city's airport was detonated by remote control on Monday morning.
The powerful explosion which rocked Mogadishu occurred in the morning when many people were on the road going to work and others were travelling to attend the Hajj pilgrimage in Saudi Arabia's Mecca.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the blast but Somalia's homegrown Islamic extremist rebels, al-Shabab, often carry out such attacks. Al-Shabab is allied to al-Qaida.
Juba, July 20 (AP/UNB) — With the deadly Ebola outbreak in Congo now an international emergency , neighboring South Sudan and its war-weakened health system is a major concern, especially after one case was confirmed near its border. Health experts say there is an urgent need to increase prevention efforts.
The World Health Organization on Wednesday made the emergency declaration for the year-old outbreak, a rare move that usually leads to more global attention and aid. More than 1,600 people have died in what has become the second-worst Ebola outbreak in history.
Health experts worry about what would happen if Ebola reaches South Sudan as the shattered nation tries to recover from a five-year civil war that killed nearly 400,000 people and displaced millions. Many health facilities were badly damaged or destroyed, and unrest continues in parts of the country despite a fragile peace deal signed in September.
Last month a 41-year-old woman was discovered with Ebola in northeastern Congo, just 70 kilometers (43 miles) from South Sudan. She had traveled 500 kilometers from Beni, the epicenter of the outbreak, despite having been exposed to the virus and warned not to travel.
South Sudan has sent a health team to strengthen surveillance at one of its busiest border posts, Kaya in Central Equatoria state, near where the woman's case was confirmed. Hers was the closest confirmed case to South Sudan since this outbreak was declared.
"The risk of cases of Ebola coming across the border into South Sudan is very high," said Sudhir Bunga, South Sudan country director for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "A person who comes into contact with a confirmed case of Ebola in (Congo) could travel to South Sudan, or any neighboring country, undetected during the 21-day incubation period and spread the disease once contagious."
That recently happened in neighboring Uganda, a more stable country with a more developed health system and experience with past Ebola outbreaks, as millions of people flow across borders in the densely populated region. Three people died in Uganda before other family members were taken back to Congo for treatment and Ugandan officials quickly declared the country was again free of the disease.
Ebola's spread into South Sudan would pose more of a challenge.
Even though Ebola preparedness, including vaccinations for some health workers, began several months ago the current phase of the country's $12 million response plan is just 36% funded, according to a report this month by the country's health ministry.
Fighting in places such as Central Equatoria has hampered efforts to prepare for Ebola. The United Nations' migration agency manages 15 screening sites along the border but three others have yet to be established in part because of access challenges.
Many South Sudan communities lack the basic resources to respond to one of the world's most notorious diseases. The phone network in Central Equatoria is limited, meaning most people cannot call the emergency help line. Many hospitals don't have staff trained to deal with the virus or the isolation wards needed to control its spread.
The country is about 60% ready to deal with a potential Ebola outbreak, Richard Lako with South Sudan's national Ebola task force has told The Associated Press.
But he expressed concern about the border: "There are forest areas between communities in South Sudan and the Congo and these people can't be screened from the other side. It's a big worry if those people sneak in and we have a case. It'll take us time to get in and control the issue."
South Sudan's prevention efforts include educating communities to dispel myths about Ebola that have posed a major challenge for disease responders in Congo. Health workers in South Sudan's border towns are going door-to-door trying to inform people, with support from WHO and people who responded to West Africa's devastating outbreak in 2014-2016 that killed more than 11,000 people.
At one animated training session earlier this year in an army barracks outside Yei, a major city in western South Sudan near the Congo border, two U.N. staffers playfully bumped elbows, showing how to greet others without shaking hands. Ebola is spread via close contact with bodily fluids of those infected.
"Don't touch each other, don't play with saliva, yours or someone else's," a WHO staffer from Sierra Leone said.
This month diplomats and other officials made a special visit to Yei, one of the hardest-hit cities during South Sudan's civil war, to observe Ebola preparations.
"It is really the most important place in South Sudan right now," U.S. Ambassador Thomas Hushek said, according to the U.N. mission in South Sudan. "This is where we are most worried about what might happen."
Cairo, Jul 18 (AP/UNB) — Thousands of Sudanese took to the streets Thursday to condemn the deadly crackdown by security forces last month, as tensions remain high despite recent progress toward a power-sharing deal with the ruling military council.
The Sudanese Professionals' Association, which has spearheaded months of protests, tweeted that security forces had fired tear gas to disperse some rallies in the capital, Khartoum. There were no reports of serious injuries.
Protesters marched toward the Green Yard, an open area in the capital, waving Sudanese flags and beating drums. They chanted "Revolution!" and "The martyr's blood shall be avenged!"
The military overthrew long-ruling autocrat Omar al-Bashir in April, but the protesters remained in the streets, calling for a swift transition to civilian rule. On June 3, security forces dispersed their main sit-in, killing at least 128 people, according to protest organizers. Authorities put the death toll at 61, including three security forces.
The pro-democracy movement and the military signed a document Wednesday outlining a power-sharing deal but have yet to agree on the exact division of powers. They agreed on a Sudanese investigation into last month's violence, but have yet to outline its scope or agree on whether military leaders would be immune from prosecution.
Those issues are expected to be taken up in talks scheduled for Friday.
"If signatories agree tomorrow on giving the military council full immunity, we will go back to the street," said Mohamed al-Neel, a 25-year-old protester. "The street won't become quiet until a civilian government is formed and martyrs are avenged."
Pakistan, July 18 (AP/UNB) — Authorities in Pakistan have arrested a former prime minister over alleged irregularities related to the import of natural gas from Qatar.
Shahid Khaqan Abbasi served as prime minister for nearly a year after Nawaz Sharif was removed from office in July 2017 for failing to disclose foreign assets. Sharif is currently serving a seven-year jail term for corruption, and authorities have pursued a number of his allies on corruption allegations.
Lawmaker Ahsan Iqbal says officials from the National Accountability Bureau stopped their vehicle as they were entering Lahore on Thursday and arrested Abbasi.
Authorities are investigating Abbasi's role in awarding a contract to a liquefied natural gas company in which the former prime minister was a shareholder. He has denied any wrongdoing.