Wellington, Dec 11 (AP/UNB) — New Zealand's government has passed a law that will make medical marijuana widely available for thousands of patients over time.
The legislation passed Tuesday will also allow terminally ill patients to begin smoking illegal pot immediately without facing the possibility of prosecution.
The measures come ahead of a planned national referendum on recreational marijuana use. The government has pledged to hold that referendum some time over the next two years, but has not yet set a date or finalized the wording.
The new law allows much broader use of medical marijuana, which was previously highly restricted. But patients wanting to use marijuana for conditions like chronic pain will have to wait a year until a new set of regulations, licensing rules and quality standards are put in place.
London, Dec 5 (AP/UNB) — Brazilian doctors are reporting the world's first baby born to a woman with a uterus transplanted from a deceased donor.
Eleven previous births have used a transplanted womb but from a living donor, usually a relative or friend.
Experts said using uteruses from women who have died could make more transplants possible. Ten previous attempts using deceased donors in the Czech Republic, Turkey and the U.S. have failed.
The baby girl was delivered last December by a woman born without a uterus because of a rare syndrome. The woman — a 32-year-old psychologist — was initially apprehensive about the transplant, said Dr. Dani Ejzenberg, the transplant team's lead doctor at the University of Sao Paulo School of Medicine.
"This was the most important thing in her life," he said. "Now she comes in to show us the baby and she is so happy,"
The woman became pregnant through in vitro fertilization seven months after the transplant. The donor was a 45-year-old woman who had three children and died of a stroke.
The recipient, who was not identified, gave birth by cesarean section. Doctors also removed the womb, partly so the woman would no longer have to take anti-rejection medicines. Nearly a year later, mother and baby are both healthy.
Two more transplants are planned as part of the Brazilian study. Details of the first case were published Tuesday in the medical journal Lancet.
Uterus transplantation was pioneered by Swedish doctor Mats Brannstrom, who has delivered eight children from women who got wombs from family members or friends. Two babies have been born at Baylor University Medical Center in Texas and one in Serbia, also from transplants from living donors.
In 2016, doctors at the Cleveland Clinic transplanted a uterus from a deceased donor, but it failed after an infection developed.
"The Brazilian group has proven that using deceased donors is a viable option," said the clinic's Dr. Tommaso Falcone, who was involved in the Ohio case. "It may give us a bigger supply of organs than we thought were possible."
The Cleveland program is continuing to use deceased donors. Falcone said the fact that the transplant was successful after the uterus was preserved in ice for nearly eight hours demonstrated how resilient the uterus is. Doctors try to keep the time an organ is without blood flow to a minimum.
Other experts said the knowledge gained from such procedures might also solve some lingering mysteries about pregnancies.
"There are still lots of things we don't understand about pregnancies, like how embryos implant," said Dr. Cesar Diaz, who co-authored an accompanying commentary in the journal. "These transplants will help us understand implantation and every stage of pregnancy."
Geneva , Dec 4 (AP/UNB) - The head of the World Health Organization said Monday it can fight the deadly Ebola outbreak in Congo despite the withdrawal of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, insisting: "We can cover it."
The comments by WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus came in the wake of commentaries in two medical journals appealing to the CDC to return to the epidemic zone in Congo — saying its expertise is needed. The U.S. experts have been sidelined for weeks, ordered away from the region because of State Department security concerns.
Violence by rebel groups has complicated efforts to battle what is now the second-deadliest Ebola outbreak. The CDC — which is twice as large as WHO — has said its staff would return to the epidemic area once it is safe.
Tedros said the U.N. health agency mostly needs the United States to continue the financial and other support it has provided. He noted the U.S. and many other developed countries have security guidelines that prevent deployments in conflict-ridden zones like the Ebola-hit area of eastern Congo.
"We can mobilize from other parts, from those institutions who don't have very strict security provisions like that," Tedros told reporters at WHO headquarters. "We can cover it."
Tedros praised a commitment from U.S. President Donald Trump, expressed at the Group of 20 summit in Argentina over the weekend, about his administration's "support in any way possible" in the fight against the outbreak.
"They promise to continue supporting us in finance and other (ways), and that, I think, would suffice," Tedros said.
He said experts from the CDC are still helping, sharing data and analysis.
The Ebola response director for the International Rescue Committee, Dr. Stacey Mearns, said the absence of CDC experts can be felt acutely, telling The Associated Press on Friday that they have rich experience in tracking cases, testing and treatment.
Tedros said WHO has now counted some 440 cases of Ebola and 255 deaths from the outbreak in Congo's North Kivu regions that first emerged in August. He said the risk of international spread remains.
Unlike the far-deadlier outbreak in West Africa that killed more than 11,000 people from 2014 to 2016, international health experts have this time deployed a new experimental vaccine to fight Ebola. Tedros said some 39,000 people have been vaccinated during the current outbreak.
Dhaka, Nov 28 (UNB) – The unsung heroes behind Britain’s favourite cuisine were honoured once again at the 14th Annual British Curry Awards on Monday at Battersea Evolution in London.
The pioneering and foremost celebration of the nation’s favourite cuisine paid homage to the industry’s finest establishments, said a press release.
Hosted by comedian and impersonator Jon Clegg, British Curry Awards, or the ‘Curry Oscars’ as fondly coined by David Cameron, welcomed a guest list of personalities from the worlds of politics, sport, television, showbiz and entertainment, as well as leading celebrity chefs, restaurant owners and their staff from across the country.
Among others, comedian, actor, author and activist Russell Brand, MP’s Sir Vince Cable, Chris Grayling, Brandon Lewis and Baroness Verma, footballer David Seaman MBE and Frankie Poultney, comedian Hardeep Kohli were attended the programme.
The full list of winners at the British Curry Awards 2018 is as follows:
Best in North East: Mumtaz, Bradford
Best in North West: Indique, Manchester
Best in Casual Dining: Dabbawal High Bridge, Newcastle
Best in London City and Suburbs: Baluchi, Tooley Street, SE1
Inspiration Award: Asha's, Birmingham
Best in Wales: Rasoi Waterfront, Swansea
Best Newcomer: Dishoom, Edinburgh
Best in South East: Malik's Cookham, Maidenhead
Best in Scotland: Light of Bengal, Aberdeen
Best in South West: Koloshi Indian Restaurant, Cheltenham
Best in Midlands: Pushkar, Birmingham
Best Takeaway: Chilli Tuk Tuk, London N12
Special Recognition Award: Chef Rezual Karim from Stockholm
San Francisco, Nov 24 (Xinhua/UNB)-- As the morbidity rate of type 2 diabetes keeps increasing, about 40 million people with the disease will not have access to insulin for treatment by 2030, a recent study from Stanford University suggested.
Researchers simulated burden of the disease from 2018 to 2030 across 221 countries using data from the International Diabetes Federation and 14 studies which represent more than 60 percent of the global type 2 diabetes population.
According to the study, the number of people with type 2 diabetes worldwide will increase from 406 million in 2018 to 511 million in 2030.
About 79 million people will need insulin to control their condition, while only 38 million will be able to get it if access to insulin remains the same, researchers predicted.
"These estimates suggest that current levels of insulin access are highly inadequate compared to projected need, particularly in Africa and Asia, and more efforts should be devoted to overcoming this looming health challenge," said Sanjay Basu, lead author of the study.
"The number of adults with type 2 diabetes is expected to rise over the next 12 years due to ageing, urbanization, and associated changes in diet and physical activity," he said, urging more governmental actions. "Unless governments begin initiatives to make insulin available and affordable, then its use is always going to be far from optimal."