A 70-year old woman died on Thursday night in a fire that broke out in her house at Paschim Santoshpur village in Chandpur.
The deceased was identified as Bely Begum, daughter of Lony Mia in Faridganj upazila.
Read: Fire at BSMMU doused
Her neighbour Jannat Aktar said hearing her cry for help at 9 pm they tried to control the fire but couldn’t rescue her alive as the door was locked from inside.
The neighbours suspect the fire started from the cooking gas cylinder blast.
Five fire fighters managed to douse the blaze later, said Ohidul Islam, station officer of Algi Fire Fire Service.
The exact cause of the fire could not be known immediately, he said.
Md Shahid Hossain, Officer-in-Charge of Farid Ganj police station said the woman’s charred body was recovered.
Legal procedure is underway in this regard, he said.