The Netherlands and Argentina are two of the top soccer teams in the world and have a long history of rivalry on the pitch. This time, they will face off in a FIFA World Cup 2022 quarterfinal match that is sure to be entertaining. Both teams boast an array of talented players, with the Netherlands having Virgil van Dijk, Denzel Dumfries, and Cody Gakpo, while Argentina has Lionel Messi, Rodrigo de Paul, and Angel Di Maria in their ranks. Let’s take a look at the Argentina vs Netherlands quarterfinal match preview focusing on both teams, their strengths and weaknesses, and what to expect when they meet on the field.
Where is Argentina vs Netherlands match?
Argentina vs Netherlands match will take place at Lusail Stadium in Lusail on Friday, December 9, with kickoff at 10 pm local time, 1 am (December 10) Bangladeshi time.
Argentina’s performance so far in the 2022 World Cup
Argentina’s starting in the World Cup was a mess. They lost 2-1 to Saudi Arabia in the first match and put themselves in uncertainty. They had to win the next two matches against Mexico and Poland to progress to the last sixteen. They turned around from the second match by winning 2-0 against both Mexico and Poland to secure the second round as a topper of the group.
Australia could not stop Messi in the last sixteen, and they lost 2-1. Meeting Netherlands in the quarterfinal is going to be Argentina’s toughest match of the World Cup in Qatar so far.
The interesting thing is that in the last nine meetings between the two teams, including World Cup and friendly matches, Argentina has never defeated the Netherlands within the stipulated 90 minutes. In 2014, Argentina beat the Dutch in a tiebreaker in the semis of the World Cup in Sao Paulo. At that time, the coach of the Netherlands was Louis van Gaal who still has that moment of defeat etched in his heart.
Messi is in good form in this World Cup, and his performance will determine Argentina’s fate. However, the Argentina team has some injury issues. Di Maria missed round of 16 matches, and it is not confirmed yet if he can make it to the quarterfinal. And the latest was midfielder Rodrigo de Paul.
Although Argentine coach Lionel Scaloni is confident that De Paul will be okay. However, the decision regarding Di Maria and De Paul will come after talking to the medical team. Lautaro Martínez has been playing with an injury and taking pain-killing injections to play for his country. And he might face trouble anytime.
Argentina’s players to watch: Lionel Messi, Emiliano Martinez, and Rodrigo de Paul.
Argentina’s players carrying yellow cards: Gonzalo Montiel, Marcos, and Acuna.
Netherlands’ performance so far in the 2022 World Cup
Among the top teams, the Netherlands is the first to never win the World Cup title. The Dutch had to be satisfied with being runners-up in 1974 and 1978. In the 1978 final, they lost 3-1 to the hosts, Argentina.
The Netherlands has been passed the group stage quite silently. After defeating Senegal 2-0 in the first match, they drew 1-1 with Ecuador in the second match. The Dutch played in a light mood in the last match with a 2-0 win against Qatar and reached the last sixteen. The three-time World Cup runners-up are now preparing to face Lionel Messi’s Argentina in the quarterfinals after beating the USA 3-1 in the last 16. There is no reason to doubt that this is going to be the toughest match for the Dutch at the World Cup in Qatar so far.
The Netherlands does not have any significant injury reports. Memphis Depay has improved his fitness, and he should be comfortable playing a full 90 minutes in the quarterfinal.
Netherlands’s players to watch: Virgil van Dijk, Denzel Dumfries, and Cody Gakpo.
Netherlands’ players carrying yellow cards: Matthijs de Ligt, Nathan Ake, Teun Koopmeiners, Frenkie de Jong.
Probable starting squad of Argentina vs Netherlands Quarterfinal Match
Emiliano Martinez, Molina, Romero, Otamendi, Acuna, De Paul, Fernandez, Mac Allister, Messi, Di Maria, Alvarez.
Noppert, Timber, Van Dijk, Ake, Dumfries, De Roon, De Jong, Blind, Klaassen, Gakpo, Depay
Argentina vs Netherlands Match Prediction
The past history of the fight between these two teams, however, is in favor of the Netherlands. So far, the Netherlands has played five times in the World Cup with Argentina and won twice. Argentina won once. Two matches have been drawn. One of the two matches that were drawn was the 2014 World Cup semi-final. Argentina defeated the Netherlands in a tiebreaker to reach the final.
As per this World Cup performance, Argentina’s defense is shaky, and the Netherlands can find the gap anytime. According to Opta Analyst’s match prediction model, Argentina has a 44.2% chance to win the game in 90 minutes, while the Netherlands has 27.1%. However, there is a 28.7% chance of a draw and proceeding to the tiebreaker.
Overall, Argentina and Netherlands have met nine times so far. Among them, the margin of victory is heavy for the Europeans. Against their four-match winning streak, Argentina has won three times. In this game, both teams will surely try to secure a win. So, the FIFA Qatar World Cup 2022 quarterfinal Argentina vs Netherlands match will be an exciting battle between two of the rivals, and it will be interesting to see who comes out on top.
Read More: FIFA World Cup 2022: Quarter Final Overview