Neymar says he feels fully fit and is confident he has done enough to earn a place in Carlo Ancelotti’s Brazil squad for the upcoming FIFA World Cup.
Brazil’s all-time leading scorer said he had to deal with a lot of “nonsense” criticism while recovering from serious injuries.
The Santos FC forward has not played for Brazil since 2023 after suffering injuries and undergoing knee surgery that kept him out of action for a year.
Ancelotti, who is expected to announce his World Cup squad on Monday, has said Neymar must be fully fit and performing well to be considered for selection.
“Physically, I feel great. I’ve improved with every match,” Neymar told reporters after Santos’ 3-0 loss to Coritiba Foot Ball Club on Sunday.
“I gave everything I could. It wasn’t easy,” he said.
Neymar said he worked hard in silence while facing criticism over his fitness and lifestyle.
“People said many unfair things. I stayed at home, worked hard and suffered because of those comments. But everything has worked out,” he said.
“I’ve reached the point I wanted to reach, and I’m happy with what I’ve done so far.”
The 34-year-old said he trusts Ancelotti to choose the best 26 players for the tournament.
During Sunday’s match, Neymar became visibly upset after he was mistakenly substituted, an incident that came just one day before the squad announcement.
Brazil will be aiming to win a record sixth World Cup title. They are drawn in Group C alongside Morocco, Haiti and Scotland in the tournament, which will be held in North America from June 11 to July 19.
Source: The Straits Times