The government has taken steps so that the low-income and jobless people do not face any food crisis during the “strict lockdown” slated to be enforced from April 14 to contain the transmission of coronavirus.
“So far, an amount of Tk 527.9 crore has been allocated by the Ministry of Disaster Management and Relief in two tranches. We’ll increase the allocation, if needed,” its Secretary Md Mohsin told UNB.
The fund has already been sent to upazilas and will be disbursed in due time, said Mohsin adding, “Some 12.4 million families will get assistance. We’ll ensure that not a single family without income is left out.”
Also read: Extreme poverty to fall to 3% by 2030: FM
Bangladesh is set to undergo a week of “strict lockdown” from April 14. People with no fixed income will be out of jobs during this period. Millions had lost jobs during last year’s months-long ‘general holiday’ at the beginning of the coronavirus outbreak. Food crisis had hit a large number of people during that period.
But, Secretary Mohsin said, a contingency plan has been drawn out this time to make sure no one suffers from hunger.