24 migrants feared dead in boat capsize near Libya
Publish- September 15, 2020, 02:42 PM
AP/UNB - AP/UNB
Boat capsize representational image (collected)
At least two dozen people drowned and presumed dead after a boat carrying migrants bound for Europe capsized in the Mediterranean Sea off Libya, the UN migration agency said Tuesday.
Safa Msehli, a spokesperson for the International Organization for Migration, told The Associated Press that Libya’s coast guard intercepted three boats on Monday, and one of them had capsized.
She said the coast guard retrieved two bodies, and survivors reported 22 others were missing and presumed dead.
At least 45 survivors on the three boats were returned to the shore. All migrants were men, with a majority from Egypt and Morocco, she said.
“This new tragedy signals yet again the need for increased search and rescue capacity in the Mediterranean. Instead, we are seeing restrictions on NGOs and long, unnecessary stand-offs,” the IOM official said.
The shipwreck was the latest maritime disaster involving migrants seeking a better life in Europe.
Last month, a boat carrying migrants sank leaving at least 45 people drowned or missing and presumed dead, marking the largest number of fatalities in a single shipwreck off the coast of the North African country.
Libya has emerged as a major transit point for African and Arab migrants fleeing war and poverty to Europe.