A Dhaka court on Sunday deferred till February 14 the submission of the probe report in a case filed over the death of Buet student Fardin Noor Parash. Dhaka Metropolitan Magistrate Shanta Islam Mallik fixed the fresh date as the investigating officer of the case failed to submit the report today. Amatullah Bushra, a friend of Fardin and also a 3rd year student of East West University, who secured bail in the case recently, appeared before the court. Fardin was a 3rd year student of Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology’s civil engineering department and a resident of Qutubpur area in Narayanganj's Fatullah. Also Read: Fardin murder: Bushra walks out of jail after 2 months Police recovered Fardin’s body from the Shitalakhkhya River, behind a cotton mill at Siddhirganj, on November 7, three days after he went missing. Sheikh Farhad, a physician at Narayanganj General Hospital where the autopsy was done, said there were several injury marks on Fardin’s head and body. Kazi Nuruddin Rana, Fardin’s father, filed a case in connection with his son’s killing with Rampura Police Station on the same day and the case was later transferred to Detective Branch (DB) Police. After a long 38-day investigation, the DB chief said on December 14 that Fardin roamed alone in different areas of Dhaka before he went missing. “Fardin was not murdered, he committed suicide by jumping into the river from Sultana Kamal Bridge On November 4 out of desperation,” he said.
The date of submitting the probe report in journalist couple Sagar-Runi murder case has been deferred for the 94th time. Dhaka Metropolitan Magistrate Rashedul Alam fixed January 4 for the submission of investigation report during a hearing after investigating agency Rapid Action Battalion (Rab) didn’t submit the report today. Maasranga Television News Editor Sagar Sarowar and his wife ATN Bangla senior reporter Meherun Runi were found dead in their rented apartment in the city’s West Rajabazar area on 11 February 2012. Nousher Ali Roman, brother of Runi, filed a case with Sher-e-Banglanagar Police Station on the following day. Police arrested Tanvir in connection with the murder case on October 1, 2012. Later, he secured bail in 2014. Read more: Sagar-Runi murder: Final hearing on 10-year old HC rule on Tuesday Law enforcers have so far arrested eight people, including Tanvir, in connection with the murder case. The seven other suspects are Rafiqul Islam, Bakul Mia, Abu Syed, Mintu alias Baggira Mintu alias Masum Mintu, Quamrul Hasan alias Arun, security guard Enam Ahmed alias Humayun Kabir and Palash Rudra Pal. Read more: Sagar-Runi Murder: Govt urged to bring perpetrators to justice Sagar-Runi Murder: Govt urged to bring perpetrators to justice
A Dhaka court Tuesday asked Police Bureau of Investigation (PBI) to submit its report on December 20 on re-investigation in a case over businessman Sahinuddin murder in the capital’s Pallabi area. Dhaka Metropolitan Magistrate Md Tariqul Islam passed the order as PBI failed to submit the report today. On May 12, the court directed PBI to re-investigate the case and submit a report after accepting Sahinuddin's mother's no-confidence petition. Read: HC grants bail to ex-LGRD minister’s APS in money laundering case On February 15, Detective Branch (DB) Inspector Syed Iftekhar Hossain, investigation officer of the case, submitted the charge sheet against 15 people including MA Awal, a former MP of Laxmipur-1 constituency, in the case. The other accused in the charge sheet are- Sumon Bepari, Md Taher, Md Golam Kibria Khan, Md Murad, Titu, Md Roki Talukder, Nur Mohammad Hasan, Md Sharif, Iqbal Hossain, Md Tarikul Islam Emon, Tuhin Miah, Md Harunur Rashid, Md Shafikul Islam Shafik and Ibrahim Sumon. Among them, Shafik and Ibrahim Sumon are on the run while all 13 accused, including Awal, are behind the bars now. Read: Actress Pori Moni's petition for cancelling narcotics case dismissed On May 16 last year, one Sahinuddin was hacked to death in Pallabi over a land dispute in front of his six-year-old son Mashrafe. On the following day, Aklima Begum, the mother of Sahinuddin, filed a murder case against 20 people including Awal at the Pallabi police station. The case was later handed over to the DB. On May 20 of the same year, members of Rapid Action Battalion (Rab) arrested Awal from Bhairab. After that Awal failed to secure bail in the lower court and he applied for it at the High Court which was also rejected.
The probe body formed to look into the recent clashes and various allegations on the Eden College campus did not find any evidence of forcing any students into indulging in ‘any immoral’ activities. The four-member committee has already submitted a report, signed by Eden College principal professor Supriya Bhattacharjee, a press release said on Thursday. “The report found no evidence of any student being forced into immoral activities,” it reads. It, however, said the college authorities will take proper steps based on the probe report against recent clashes, alleged anomalies in seat distribution in exchange of money and other charges. Read: Eden College BCL infighting: President, 7 others sued Supriya Bhattacharjee told UNB that they will submit the probe to the next academic council meeting, and final decisions will be taken there. Earlier on September 25, the four-member inquiry committee was formed comprising of four senior teachers of Eden Mohila College--Prof Mohammad Ziaul Houqe, Prof Kazi Atikuzzaman, Prof Sufiya Akter and Prof Meherunnisa Meri--to investigate clashes on September 24 and 25 on the college campus and some other allegations. During the clashes, some leaders accused Eden Mohila College Chhatra League top leaders of repressing and harassing general students in many ways and indulging in various crimes like extortion and forcing students into immoral acts. On September 25, Bangladesh Chhatra League suspended all activities of its Eden Mohila College unit committee following infightings between its two groups which left at least eight people injured. BCL also expelled 16 leaders and activists from the organisation for violating the rules. Read: Eden College BCL committee suspended after infighting The decision came after rival factions of Eden College BCL drove out both President Tamanna Jesmin Riva and general secretary Razia Sultana from the campus. Earlier, on 22 September, BCL leader Jannatul Ferdous gave an interview to the media alleging various irregularities, extortion, illegal seat trading and hall occupation by the BCL president and general secretary.
A six-member panel probing the Dhaka Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) girder tragedy has submitted a preliminary report to the government, UNB has learnt. On Monday, five members of a family, including two children, were crushed to death after a girder of the BRT project in Uttara fell on their private car. A newlywed couple also travelling with them, fortunately escaped death. On Monday itself, the Ministry of Road Transport and Bridges formed the six-member probe committee to investigate the tragedy. Read: FIR lodged over Dhaka BRT girder tragedy Nilima Akhter, additional secretary of the Road Transport and Highways Division, has been made the head of the committee. The panel has been asked to submit a full report within the next two days. Meanwhile, a police case has been filed in connection with the tragedy that occurred around 4.15pm when the girder of the Gazipur Expressway fell on the car from a crane while it was being moved in front of Gazipur Paradise Tower. The FIR for causing death due to negligence does not name anyone but lists the crane operator and the company responsible for the project, China Gezhouba Group Co Ltd, police said. Read Fire breaks out at Old Dhaka plastic factory "The case was filed at Uttara west police station on Monday night on a complaint from Afran Mondol, the brother of two of the deceased -- Fahima and Jhorna," said Md Mohsin, the station's officer-in-charge. “The crane operator and China Gezhouba Group Co Ltd have been listed in the FIR,” said the OC. "Police will investigate if the negligence of the crane operator and others concerned led to the accident." The deceased were identified as Rubel, 50, Fahima, 40, her sister Jhorna, 28, and Jhorna's two children Jannat, 6, and Jakaria, 2, said Yeasin Gazi, inspector of Uttara west police station. Read Fire at Old Dhaka's plastic factory brought under control Rubel's son Hridoy, 26, and his wife Ria Moni, 21, escaped with serious injuries and were rushed to a local hospital. "They are currently out of danger," said the officer.
A Dhaka court on Monday asked the Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) to submit by February 23 the probe report in the murder case of journalist couple Sagar Sarowar and Meherun Runi. With this, the deadline for submission of probe report in the case deferred for the 85th time. Dhaka Metropolitan MagistrateTariqul Islam fixed the new date for submitting the probe report, said sub-inspector Jalal Uddin of the court. On March 2 last year, Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) submitted a progress report in Sagar-Runi murder case in affidavit form to the Attorney General’s Office. According to the report, two unidentified people were involved in the murder. Maasranga Television News Editor Sagar Sarowar and his wife ATN Bangla senior reporter Meherun Runi were found dead at their rented apartment in the city’s West Rajabazar area on 11 February 2012. Also read: Sagar-Runi murder case: Submission of probe report deferred for 84th time Nousher Ali Roman, brother of Runi, filed a case with Sher-e-Banglanagar Police Station on the following day. Police arrested Tanvir in connection with the murder case on October 1, 2012. Later, he secured bail in 2014. Law enforcers have so far arrested eight people, including Tanvir, in connection with the murder case. Also read: Sagar-Runi murder case: HC drops petition from cause list The seven other suspects are Rafiqul Islam, Bakul Mia, Abu Syed, Mintu alias Baggira Mintu alias Masum Mintu, Quamrul Hasan alias Arun, security guard Enam Ahmed alias Humayun Kabir and Palash Rudra Pal.
The probe committee formed by the Shipping Ministry has submitted its report on the last month’s deadly launch fire on the Sugandha River. The probe committee submitted the report on Monday night, said State Minister for Shipping Khalid Mahmud Chowdhury. “The report was submitted to the Shipping Secretary but he’s sick with Covid-19 infections. Now, I’ll go through the report. I’ll be able to say in detail once go through it,” said Khalid Mahmud. “As far as I know the negligence of owners, workers, and drivers of MV Avijan-10 launch was detected in the report. There were problems in the dockyard, too,” he added. Read: Jhalokathi civil surgeon made OSD over launch fire: Health Ministry The state minister said the engine had an issue for which the dockyard authorities are responsible. “Therefore, they’ll also be made accountable for the accident,” he added. Action will be taken against the owners and others who are responsible, warned Khalid Mahmud. Earlier on December 30, the probe committee was granted three additional days to complete its investigation. On December 24, the Shipping Ministry formed the seven-member probe committee, asking it to submit its report within three working days. But the deadline was missed. The confirmed death toll from the deadly fire on MV Avijan-10 rose to 49 on Monday. On Sunday, Dhaka Marine Court issued an order to send two drivers of the launch to jail in a case over the fire. They are the 8th accused in the case Abul Kalam (in-charge driver) and the 7th accused Masum Billah (2nd driver). On December 28, the same court sent the two masters of the launch -- Riaz Sikder (master-in-charge) and the 6th accused Khalilur Rahman (2nd master) to jail when they surrendered before it. Advocate Billal Hossain, prosecuting officer of the Department of Shipping, said the overall responsibility of the engine room rests with the engine drivers. Not only did they neglect their responsibilities, their role in the aftermath of the fire was presumptuous. Read:Jhalakathi launch fire: Death toll rise to 49 The fire was initially reported to have started from the engine room, he said. If they had managed the engine room properly with perfect supervision, perhaps this horrible tragedy could have been averted, Adv Billal added. On December 26, the chief inspector of the Department of Shipping Shafiqur Rahman filed a case against eight people, including four owners of the launch, under the Marine Act with the Marine Court. The court took cognizance of the case and issued warrants for the arrest of the accused. The blaze broke out around 3am on December 24 on the Barguna-bound launch carrying some 800 passengers from Dhaka and it engulfed the entire vessel within 10 minutes.
The High Court on Tuesday directed all the probe committees formed to investigate the fire incident in Avijan-10 launch fire to submit reports within next 30 days. It also sought the lists of those died and injured in the incident and asked the District Commissioners concerned to consider the applications seeking fund for treatment of the injured ones. The HC bench of Justice M Enayetur Rahim and Md Mostafizur Rahman passed the order after hearing on two writ petitions filed in this regard. Read: Launch tragedy: Death toll climbs to 44 The court also asked the authorities concerned to submit fitness documents of all the vessels within 90 days. The court also issued a rule asking the authorities concerned to explain as to why their inactivity to prevent launch accidents should not be announced illegal. Secretaries to the Home Ministry, Shipping Ministry, Directorate General of Fire Service and Civil Defence, Chairman of Bangladesh Inland Water Transport Corporation (BIWTC) and the owner of the launch Hamjalal Sheikh and others involved were made respondents to the rule. On December 27, Supreme Court lawyer Soumitra Sardar filed a writ petition with the High Court which sought a rule asking the government to explain as to why the authorities concerned should not be asked to submit statements about the condition of engines in water vessels and legal license permits. On December 26, another Supreme Court lawyer Advocate Eunus Ali Akond filed a writ petition with the HC seeking its directives on the authorities concerned to ensure immediate payment of Tk. 10 lakh for the families of the dead and Tk 5 lakh for the injured in the launch fire. Read: Writ on launch fire: Govt. must explain why the fire could not be prevented The blaze broke out at 3am on Friday on the Barguna-bound launch carrying some 800 passengers from Dhaka and it engulfed the entire vessel within 10 minutes. The death toll from the fire incident climbed to 44 on Tuesday. Besides, over 81 people suffered injuries and many of them are undergoing treatment at different hospitals.
A Dhaka court on Tuesday deferred to January 16 the submission date of the probe report in a case filed against Bashundhara Group MD Sayem Sobhan Anvir and seven others over the rape and murder of college student Mosarat Jahan Munia. Dhaka Metropolitan Magistrate Begum Yasmin Ara fixed the fresh date as Police Bureau of Investigation (PBI) failed to submit the report on the day. Read: HC rejects Bashundhara MD’s anticipatory bail plea over Munia death case With this, the court deferred the submission of probe report in the case for six times. On April 26, police recovered the body of the 21-year-old college student hanging from a ceiling fan of her bedroom in a Gulshan flat. Munia's elder sister, Nusrat Jahan Tania, filed a case against Anvir that night accusing him of incitement to suicide. According to Tania, her sister, Munia, was in a relationship with Anvir who regularly visited her at the Gulshan apartment. On July 19, the investigating officer of the case Abul Hasan, also the officer-in-charge of Gulshan Police Station, submitted a final report to the court giving a clean chit to Anvir. On September 6, Munia's sister Tania filed a rape and murder case against the Bashundhara Group MD Anvir and seven others with Dhaka's 8th Tribunal for Prevention of Women and Children's Repression. Read:Munia rape and murder case: Bashundhara MD seeks anticipatory bail The court, after recording the complaint, directed the PBI to submit a report on it. The seven other accused in the case are: Bashundhara Group's Chairman Ahmed Akbar Sobhan Shah Alam, Shah Alam's wife Afroza Begum; Anvir's wife Sabrina Sayem; Faria Mahbub Piyasha; Saifa Rahman Mim; landlord of the flat where the victim was staying, Ibrahim Ahmed Ripon and his wife Sharmim Akhter.
A Dhaka court on Wednesday asked the Police Bureau of Investigation (PBI) to submit a report on February 3, after investing a sedition case filed against Hefazat-e-Islam Bangladesh chief Junaid Babunagari over his anti-sculpture comments.