A 35-year-old businessman died Sunday in the capital's Lalbagh after drinking a fatal level of liquor, police said.
Mohammad Ali, the father of two children, was declared dead after being rushed to the Dhaka Medical College Hospital's emergency department unconscious, Abdullah Khan, in-charge of Dhaka Medical College Hospital police camp, said.
Citing the doctors, Abdullah said, "Ali died from excessive drinking. His body has been kept in the Dhaka Medical morgue for autopsy."
However, Ali's wife Champa Begum said he fell unconscious in the morning after having breakfast.
Deaths from toxic liquor rising in Bangladesh
At least 16 people died from January 31 to February 5 in Bogura after consuming toxic liquor.
Md Abul Kalam Azad, the officer-in-charge of Bogura Sadar Police Station, said: "Eleven people died from drinking toxic liquor in the district and the death toll could increase."
Also, three people from Asiatic-360 died after consuming toxic liquor while on a recreational trip in Gazipur on January 28. Around 10 employees of Asiatic-360 also fell sick and were hospitalised during the period.
At least 30 people died last January after consuming toxic liquor.