A man and his 10-year old grandson died from electrocution on Monday at Nij Chaura village in Kanaighat upazila of Sylhet.
The deceased were identified as Fakhar Uddin,55, and his grandson Ariful Islam,, a student of class two.
According to locals, due to Sunday night’s storm an electrical wire got torn and fell down on the road beside Fakhar,s house.
Fakhar and other locals informed the Polly Bidyut (Rural Electrification Board) office but they did not come to remove it.
Around 12 pm while returning from school Ariful got electrocuted from that wire and Fakhar also died when he tried to save him.
Later locals rescued them and rushed them to Upazila Health Complex where the doctors announced both of them dead.
Another local named Faisal Ahmed,35, sustained injuries while rescuing them and currently being treated at the hospital, said the locals.
READ: 4 of a family electrocuted in Noakhali
Agitated by the incidents locals gathered around Kanaighat Polly Bidyut zonal office and blocked the road in front of it demanding removal of the Deputy General Manager and proper steps after an investigation.
Due to negligence of the DGM and other officials of Polly Bidyut office Fakhar and Ariful died, they claimed.
Later around 4pm the agitated locals lifted the blockade after Upazila Nirbahi Officer Shumonto Banerjee and officer-In-charge of Kanaighat police station Tajul Islam assured them of taking steps through a probe on the incident.
DGM Akhter Hossain ran away from the office and remained unreachable to get a comment on the matter.
OC Tajul Islam said the bodies were sent for autopsy and actions will be taken after a proper investigation on the incident.
Fakhar,s nephew Nur Islam will be filing a complaint with the police station in this regard, he said.