measles outbreak
HC petition seeks Tk 2 cr compensation for each death, probe into measles outbreak
A writ petition was filed with the High Court on Sunday seeking its directives to provide Tk 2 crore each to the family members of 352 children died from measles.
The petition also sought directives to establish specialized measles treatment units equipped with ICU, PICU and necessary diagnostic facilities at every district hospital and upazila health complex across the country.
It also sought directives to form a 10-member investigation committee comprising representatives from the World Health Organization (WHO), UNICEF and the Institute of Epidemiology, Disease Control and Research (IEDCR), which would identify the root causes of the measles outbreak, administrative failures and those responsible, and submit a report to the court within 30 days.
Besides, the petition also sought an order directing the authorities to submit within seven days an affidavit to the court detailing the current status of the stock, preservation and supply systems of measles and rabies vaccines across the country.
Supreme Court lawyer Mohammad Humayun Kabir Pallob and other filed the petition on behalf of human rights organisation Law and Life Foundation Trust on Sunday.
Secretary to the Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS), secretary to the Home Ministry, Director General of DGHS, and director of IEDCR were made respondents to the rule.
The writ was submitted with permission from the bench comprising Justice Razik-Al-Jalil and Justice Debasish Roy Chowdhury.
According to the writ petition, 352 children have died so far in the severe measles outbreak that began in Bangladesh in March 2026.
Thousands of children across the country are being infected and the situation has already turned into one of the most serious public health crises in the country’s recent history.
The petition said these deaths were neither sudden nor unavoidable.
Rather, the disaster resulted from policy changes in vaccine procurement and supply systems, disruption of long-standing effective mechanisms, ignoring warnings from international organizations, and the lack of adequate healthcare infrastructure, it said .
It also said that after a long-standing vaccine procurement system managed through UNICEF was changed and the interim government introduced an open tender system, serious disruptions occurred in the supply and vaccination programme for measles in the country.
It also said that UNICEF repeatedly warned the then health adviser, Nurjahan Begum, about a possible vaccine shortage, outbreak of the disease and the risk of child deaths, but those warnings were not heeded.
The petition also said due to the lack of adequate ICU, PICU and specialised treatment facilities at district and upazila levels across the country, many children did not receive timely medical care.
It said many families moved from one hospital to another but failed to secure ICU or PICU beds for their children, resulting in the deaths of several children.
On May 5, 2026, a legal notice was sent to the relevant authorities requesting to take urgent measures in this regard.
As no effective remedial steps were taken even after the expiry of the notice period, and the measles situation continues to worsen every day, the writ petition was filed in the public interest, it said .
11 days ago
Measles outbreak: Dhaka division accounts for 50% of total fatalities
Dhaka division has accounted for half of the total deaths reported across the country from measles and similar symptoms this year, according to the Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS).
Since March 15, a total of 336 children have died from measles and symptoms consistent with the highly contagious yet preventable disease nationwide, with 168 deaths reported in Dhaka division alone, representing 50 percent of the total fatalities, shows the data released by the DGHS on Thursday.
Of the deaths recorded in Dhaka, 38 were confirmed as measles-related, while the remaining 130 were classified as suspected.
The DGHS data also shows that the division recorded 20,581 suspected measles cases and 4,177 confirmed infections.
After Dhaka, Rajshahi and Chattogram divisions reported the second and third highest suspected measles deaths, with 78 and 25 respectively.
In the 24 hours till 8:00am on Thursday, 12 more children died from measles and measles-like symptoms, according to the DGHS.
Of them, one death was confirmed as measles-related, while 11 were listed as suspected. Five of the suspected deaths were reported from Dhaka.
With the latest figures, the total number of confirmed measles deaths since March 15 has risen to 57, while suspected deaths stand at 279.
The DGHS data also shows that 1,238 new suspected measles cases were recorded during the reporting period, bringing the total to 45,498.
In the same period, 286 new confirmed cases were reported, taking the total number of confirmed infections to 6,208.
Since March 15, a total of 31,912 suspected measles patients have been hospitalised, of whom 28,238 have recovered, the DGHS said.
13 days ago
10 more people die with measles, symptoms in 24 hours: DGHS
Ten more patients died with measles and symptoms of the disease in 24 hours till 8 am on Sunday morning, taking the total death toll to 151, according to the Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS).
Among the deceased, four were confirmed measles patients, it said.
During this period, 1,268 suspected measles cases were reported during the period.
Besides, 762 patients were admitted to different hospitals.
So far, a total of 10,225 suspected patients have been hospitalised.
Among them, 7,656 patients have recovered and discharged from the hospitals, DGHS said.
In 24-hour period, Dhaka division recorded the highest number of suspected measles deaths with five.
Besides, Dhaka district also accounted for the highest district-level death toll during the period, with five deaths.
The DGHS said the total number of confirmed measles deaths between March 15 and April 12 stood at 28.
The month-long Emergency Measles-Rubella Vaccination Campaign 2026 was launched in Dhaka South City Corporation (DSCC) areas on Sunday, amid growing concerns over the spread of preventable infectious diseases.
Health and Family Welfare Minister Sardar Md Sakhawat Husain inaugurated the campaign at a function at the Nagar Bhaban auditorium in the morning.
Under the campaign, a total of 402,456 children in DSCC areas have been targeted for vaccination. To achieve the target, 540 vaccination centres have been set up across the city, including 90 permanent and 450 temporary ones.
Children aged 6 to 59 months will receive vaccines daily from 9:00am to 4:00pm. The month-long campaign will continue until May 11.
1 month ago
Tk 604cr reallocated, 2.19 crore doses secured to tackle measles outbreak: Health Minister
The government has reallocated Tk 604 crore from unused pandemic funds and secured around 2.19 crore vaccine doses with international support as part of urgent measures to combat a measles outbreak, Health Minister Sardar Md. Sakhawat Husain told Parliament on Wednesday.
The government has launched emergency measures to contain a measles outbreak, including a nationwide vaccination drive and the procurement of millions of doses to replenish depleted stocks, he said responding to concerns raised by opposition lawmaker Rumeen Farhana during her call attention notice on urgent public important matters.
Tk 604 crore from unused Asian Development Bank pandemic funds has been reallocated for emergency procurement and 21.9 million doses have been secured through Gavi support while an additional procurement worth Tk 419 crore is in its final stages, said the minister.
To ensure transparency and avoid delays, the minister said the government is bypassing traditional tenders to procure directly through UNICEF.
The minister said 41 deaths have been officially verified by the WHO and UNICEF as directly caused by measles.
The minister announced that while a vaccination campaign began on April 5 in high-risk areas, the program will expand to Dhaka North and South city corporations and other major urban centers starting April 12.
He noted that although Dhaka was not initially classified as a high-risk zone by international partners, the government is taking proactive steps to cover the capital.
Acknowledging that the current administration inherited a near-zero stock of vaccines due to previous mismanagement, Husain detailed urgent financial measures to restore the supply chain.
Addressing the Expanded Programme on Immunisation (EPI), the minister highlighted a shift to multi-dose vials to improve storage efficiency and meet WHO cold chain standards. He also addressed workforce shortages, stating that the government is moving to clear outstanding salaries for field-level health workers within days to ensure the vaccination drive remains effective.
Earlier, Rumeen Farhana cited data suggesting higher fatalities and warned of the long-term risks of measles-induced immune suppression among children. She also raised alarms over shortages of several routine vaccines.
In response, the minister assured that under the leadership of Prime Minister Tarique Rahman, the situation is being brought under control. "The vaccine stocks are now stabilising, and we are moving forward with full preparedness to protect children’s health," he said.
1 month ago
Writ petition seeks closure of schools until measles outbreak is contained
A writ petition was filed with the High Court on Thursday seeking directives to keep schools closed until measles outbreak in the country is brought under control.
The write petition also sought formation of a high-level committee to probe the deaths of 47 children due to measles.
Supreme Court Lawyer Lutfe Jaahan Purnima filed the writ petition to the relevant branch of the High Court.
It also sought issuance of a rule seeking explanation from the respondents as to why their inaction and failure to prevent and control the measles outbreak should not be declared illegal, arbitrary and without lawful authority.
The failure to ensure timely vaccination, maintain vaccine availability, and provide adequate healthcare services and emergency response measures are a clear violation of constitutional obligations, said the petition.
It also sought directives for the respondents to immediately undertake a nationwide emergency measles vaccination programme, ensure the supply of vaccines, syringes and necessary logistics, and establish an effective emergency response system across the country including adequate medical facilities, specialized units, and ICUs.
1 month ago
Death toll in Samoa's measles outbreak rises to 32
The Samoan government confirmed on Tuesday that the death toll in the island nation's measles outbreak has risen to 32 since Mid-October this year.
6 years ago